“Thank you is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.”
– Alice Walker
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful day, brimming with family, friends and great food! (Tis, the season to be thankful!)
Going back to the roots, historically, “Thanksgiving Day” began as a day of giving thanks for the blessings of a good harvest and of the hope of a great harvest the coming year. Its been celebrated across different continents in their own unique ways. (The Indian counterpart being – Makarsakranti aka Pongal, Lohri, Bhobali Bihu, Uttarayana etc.) Nevertheless, the purpose (no matter where in the world you are), is to be thankful for what you’ve got and appreciate the little things and incredible people in your lives.
Gratitude means thankfulness, noticing simple pleasures and acknowledging everything that you draw. It means that you are content with what you have and appreciate and value the quality of your life, without any complaints. Being thankful shifts your focus from what is lacking in your life to the abundance that is already present. It means learning to live your life as if everything were a miracle, and being aware on a continuous basis of how much you’ve been given. In short, it means that you say “Thank You” often and always!
So, in honor of this day, I wanted to share some of the things that I am grateful for. In no particular order, here is what I am appreciative of, on everyday basis –
1. First and foremost, my Family! The support and love that I draw from them is unbelievable. No matter the “hows” and “whats” – my family has always been there by my side, encouraging and promoting me and my decisions and I’m so thankful to be sharing this journey with them!
“Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.”
― George Burns
2. My friends. I am really thankful to all my friends – who have been with me through the thick and thin of life. I have been lucky enough to have friends who have been my backbone through the troubled times and tough decisions, loving me, unconditionally. No doubt, my sanity is all because of the “human diaries” that I call friends and I am so thankful for their presence in my life!
“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”
― Helen Keller
3. My health. I am truly blessed to be in good health and thank God for keeping me alive to witness the “miracle of life”, one day at a time! When you realize that the things could have been worse, but you still are breathing with all vigor, gratitude is all that you can encompass!
“A fit, healthy body—that is the best fashion statement”
― Jess C. Scott
4. My home. Every since I was a child, I constantly looked for a place to call “my home”. I am thankful that I have found myself one! (Amen!) Rightly said and truly believed, home is where your heart is, and for me, coming back to my loved ones – is my home!
“Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.”
― Robert Frost
5. You! Yes, you! The encouraging words and constant motivation from each one of you is priceless. Honestly, I wouldn’t be where I am today had it been not for your kind words, support and approval. I love you all with all my heart and am thankful to each one of you for being there for me, always! Your words, your reviews, your feedback – are imperative to my self-worth and growth. Thank You!
“If EXCELLENCE is one of your values, not only you self-critic and evaluate your performance consistently, you BEG others for honest feedback.”
― Assegid Habtewold,
In the end, all that I would like to emphasize on is that – when you understand and absorb the “little everyday gifts” that life has to offer to you, you become more oriented towards looking for things to be grateful for, and eventually, begin to appreciate simple pleasures (that you previously took for granted!) Understand that life in itself is a revelation and its a blessing to be a part of this phenomenon. Be thankful! Remember, it’s never too late to recognize someone or something. Start today! Smile and spread that smile – because, this is what you are made of!
“Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
– Marcel Proust
Let me know what you’re grateful for. Sometimes sharing or writing these down is the best way to increase your happiness!